This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure for more information.
All alone for the evening and wondering what to eat? Before you think of ordering in (too much junk, too much money!), read this recipe. I have to cook for myself every day, and while I pretty much make dishes in bulk and store in the fridge – and reheat and eat, sometimes I crave for something different that’s also not difficult to make.
Wouldn’t it be wonderful to eat this then?
Pasta is a long-time love of mine. Eating it, I mean. I was somehow under the impression that because it tastes so good, it must be hard to make. Boy, was I wrong! Great tasting pasta runs the gamut from ridiculously easy to make, to gourmet pasta that I will happily eat but probably never attempt to make by myself.
Learning how to quickly make red sauce pasta is one of the best things I ever did, and on the evenings I get home after a difficult day at work, craving for some hot food that’s healthy and also improves my mood, pasta it always is! And all it takes is about 15-20 minutes of your time.
Without further rambling, here’s how you make red sauce pasta for one!
Vegan Red Sauce Pasta for One
Ingredients for PASTA
1/2 cup brown rice spaghetti pasta
For the pasta, I use Tinkyada Brown Rice Spaghetti Pasta, which is also organic:
Ingredients for RED SAUCE
- ¼ cup carrots, finely diced
- ¼ cup capsicum (green pepper), diced (optional)
- ¼ cup diced tomatoes
- 1 15-ounce (425 g) tomato sauce (boil tomatoes until skin comes loose, then pulp them into a sauce)
- 2 Tbsp (33 g) tomato paste
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt + salt for pasta water
- ½ tsp red chili flakes
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- 1 Tbsp fresh basil
- 1-2 Tbsp cane sugar
- Add olive oil to a preheated pot and then add minced garlic, carrots and capsicum. Sauté, stirring frequently. Add pulped tomato pieces now, once the carrots have had time to soften. Stir.
- Bring to a low simmer and add tomato sauce, tomato paste, salt, chili flakes, oregano, basil, and cane sugar, and stir to combine.
- Reduce heat continue to cook, stirring occasionally. Once the sauce starts to boils, turn off heat and keep aside.
- Cook rice pasta according to instructions. Once done, drain and set aside.
- Taste the pasta sauce and adjust salt, sugar, etc as needed. If it’s too thick, add a little water.
- To serve, spoon sauce over noodles and toss.
- Serve topped with fresh basil.
And then gobble it up while watching Season 3 episodes of Mr. Robot🙂
Did you try this recipe? How did it turn out?